Sunday, April 14, 2013

Week 15

Hey look who it is

This past week my Thing To Do was read two new books by authors I'd never read before, which meant I had to put down the book I was currently in (thank you, small slips of paper, that book was terrible and I'm glad I had an excuse to stop reading it) and grab a couple of others. Luckily, the two books I finally decided to read this week had just come in to the library (thank you, luck).

First on the docket was Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Last month when I had to read a bunch of books, this book was suggested, so I put a hold on it... and just this past week got it in. Ugh what is it with other people wanting to read the books I want to read! Anyway, I gotta say, I had no expectations going into this recommended piece of fixion (that's how I'm writing fiction this week, deal with it) and I'm kinda glad for it. I really enjoyed it; basically a road trip movie with a half-Faerie-folk with several dozen plot devices shoved in. When was this book written? 1999? What? It was a little... rough at times, but overall was a pretty good read. I'd read it again, but I mean it's not my favorite book ever. It has a couple of scandalous bits you wouldn't expect, one in like the second chapter, what on earth mister gaiman. Also if Neil Gaiman was a Mega Man villian what would his power be

Second, I read Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen, by Christopher McDougall, which follows the formation of a 50 mile run in Mexico between several American ultrarunners and members of a crazy awesome tribe of peeps who run all the time and don't never stop! It's super informative, giving a lot of information on ultrarunners and about how the hell people go running for a hundred miles and don't blow up, as well as talking about several key characters and how they got involved in The Race. Really good. It's a bit heavy handed on the anti-Nike, peeps were meant to run barefoot stuff, which, while I don't necessarily disagree with, I feel applies best to people who don't run on concrete and asphalt. Trail running? Go crazy man, that stuff is nuts. And who knows. You definitely get a better form running barefoot (or close to it) but can really wreck your stuff. I'm not a director, I dunno. I do know I liked this book and will be adding it to my shelf. It's also my first BOOK ABOUT RUNNING

Speaking of, this month's goal is to run 2 miles on ten days. I'm doing good, and am on pace to meet my goal.

ALSO I just OFFICIALLY SIGNED UP FOR A 5 KILOMETER (3.1 MILES) race this coming Saturday. This will either be one of the best or worst decisions of my life. Also, did you know the movie Boondock Saints came out the same year Stardust by Neil Gaiman did? I just learned that.

So, this week is kinda a Gimmie. I've been wanting to start a few Exercise Regimens for a few weeks now and need to kick my own butt to get this kickstarted. I pulled a slip this week that's not really a thing for me (No dranks) but when I wrote these up, I was like "what are some common new years resolutions? oh kicking the devil's drink, i will put something like that into these" but that's not... It's not a resolution for me. So I'm going to do it (I've earned the title Teetotaler) and force myself to start three separate Regimens.

One Hundred Pushups
Two Hundred Squats
Two Hundred Situps

Basically, each of these were designed to get a person of varying skill levels to doing x of y exercise in six weeks. Let's do this. Monday, Wednesday and Friday are my one-mile-run and Exercise Regimen days.

Okay.

Let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment