Sunday, January 6, 2013

Post 1

As with most good stories, this one begins on the internet. I saw a guy on Reddit who had 52 slips of paper, each with a different Thing To Do. He would randomly draw one each week, and do it. "Pretty cool," says I. "Pretty cool," says you.

I'm doing that. But I'm also doing monthly Things To Do. Crap.

Premise is pretty simple. Each Saturday evening (or Sunday morning... or afternoon... or evening) I'll draw a new slip of paper out of a jar. Each has something that is probably going to suck on it. There will be duplicates, simply because I can't be bothered to come up with 51 stupid things to do, and because I'll probably get more out of doing multiples of some rather than one of each dumb thing. I'll post here about that thing, and give you an update on how last week went.

Weekly Examples
  • Eat a salad 5/7 days this week
  • No social media this week
  • 2 hours of gaming per day this week
  • Learn and cook two new recipes this week
  • No soda this week
  • Try 5 new things this week
The first day of a month I'll also draw a slip of paper out of a small box. Some of these are seriously going to blow. I've softened some from my initial ideas, mainly because I am a baby man. 

Monthly Examples
  • Make $250 extra cash this month
  • 8 A.M. Wake up calls weekdays
  • Run at least one mile 10 days this month
  • $.25 Swear Jar Charge Month (seriously this sucks)
I do have some rules, both for myself and for the rabid masses.
  1. I can re-draw if I pull a No Sugar week during the No Sugar month. This also applies to No Soda and Swear Jar weeks
  2. Reading books and recipes cannot overlap. If I pull a Learn 2 Recipes week during Learn 10 Recipes Month, I have to add two more recipes to my repertoire
  3. If a week isn't completed (ex. I only eat 4 salads in a week) the Thing To Do carries over to the next week until it is completed. If I have a soda during a No Soda week, I have to extend that week by one day into the next week
  4. I reserve the right to complain about week/month combinations
  5. I reserve the right to apply balance changes to weeks / months. If I find myself able to run 1 mile per day too easily, I can and may bump up the amount.
Please bother me. I'd like to share my experiences in this stupid challenge with you and be held accountable.

Thanks. Stay tuned for Week 2 and Month 1. (Week 1 was being resolved to actually deciding, writing, and making this dumb thing)



James

2 comments: