Last month I had to read 10 books by new authors, not part of series I've read before, of a certain page length. I went off a few suggestions and off a few books I've wanted to read, as well as a couple I'd never heard of. I had a great time, and it's certainly inspired me to start reading a lot more. I'd stopped reading as much as I used to as I got into gaming and The Internet, but since everything becomes boring, I'm baaaack. I've got 18 books checked out from the library right now, with 20 more holds on books. This is probably my favorite month ever.
I finished up Ender's Game, and I've since checked out every other book in the series (making it the bulk of those 18 books I've checked out). I really, really liked it, and encourage anyone who likes sci fi or Starship Troopers to read it. I had trouble at first because of the little quirk all sci fi authors have of using titles and phrases on the first page that are explained three chapters in, but I was able to settle into the world pretty quickly. Really enjoyed. I've bought a few of the books already.
Finally, I read through The Trouble With Paris, and I need to read it several more times and buy a few more copies and give them to friends. Basically, it goes through how Christianity works in the current hyper-consumerist society that forces the ideas of a hyper-reality on humanity. It's a bit sobering to read examples of hyper-real lies and strategies and be like "oh crap, that's something I do" or "oh crap, that's something that's influenced me." Very compelling and very thought-provoking. I wish I had read it earlier so I'd have a chance to read it again. Really good. I'd recommend it to anyone who goes to the Vineyard church who hasn't read it or any Christian interested in how to live in this world. Really good.
So, for Month 3, I pulled the crappiest Thing To Do ever. No sugah MONTH.
Now, something that came up last time (that I may have clarified, but that I've forgotten) was "woah no sugar at all, in anything? that's crazy." In reality, it's more of a... No sugahry things MONTH. So these sour gummy things I'm eating? Out. Orange juice? STILL GOOD. Also: Easter is the last day of this month, so my intense and unsettling love of Cadbury Creme Eggs will be fine to pursue in April. TAKE THAT, CANDY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX.
Lots of caps today. Sorry about that. Also, remember how I'm supposed to run 3 miles this week? Yeahhhhhh. I was like "I'm going to run this week!" and every day I was going to run it decided to ice and snow all over the place. This week may run into the next (no pun intended).
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment